2015年9月15日 星期二

Chinese Qing Porcelain Famille Rose Vase

Preview Entry 4 - Doyle (Asian Works of Art 09-14-2015)

A Pair of Chinese Famille Rose Glazed Porcelain Vases

Lot 359
6 Characters (大清光緒年製) mark
Estimated: $800 - $1,200
Realized Price: $7,000

OK, sorry guys for late update!  You know, as a scholar bear, we have to learn more and absorb more knowledge.  In last week, I started my Master Degree in Anthropology and worked really hard!  In this photo you can get a sense how serious I am during study (not joking).  Since this one is a late entry, perhaps I will try to summit two entries this week? Maybe?

For this week, I am really confused for the bidders, why would they bid for these two vases (8 bids currently)? Even Doyle stated they are from 20th century, which is modern.  But I think it is a great opportunity for me to teach you guys how to tell these vases are from private kiln/ modern production.
Brownish mouth rim coating

One of the element of private kiln production can be seen on the mouth rim.  Usually the mouth rim of these wares is covered in a thick brownish color coating.  The using of brownish color as the decorative element is a common practice for private kiln.

Poor written mark
I guess this is one of the worst mark I have ever seen in my life.  It was written as “Dai Qing Guangxu Nian Zhi” (大清光緒年製) (Made during the reign of Guangxu), but it is in a horrible condition and poorly written (state of the art I must say), which further confirm its private kiln origin.  As mentioned in previous entry, a poor mark usually accompany with a poor foot rim, these two vases are also in this case, we can see the foot rim of these two vases are pretty rough, which indicates the body of these two vases are poor.

Cursive calligraphy
For porcelains in later production, usually the written text is in semi-cursive script(行書) and cursive script(草書).  For the calligraphy style used for the imperial kiln during Qing dynasty, usually it is in regular script (楷書).  Also to note that, for some really bad imitation, we can even see text in simplified Chinese (簡體中文), which developed during People Republic of China period.

I must say it is very strange for people to bid for stuffs in condition like this, do they really know what they are bidding for?

Share this

0 Comment to "Chinese Qing Porcelain Famille Rose Vase"

張貼留言