2016年7月5日 星期二

Qianlong porcelain bowl from Norton's Art

Hello guys, I know that I am mega lazy right now but since I receive some likes in my facebook, so I have decided to post some entries.  In this week, I have found an interesting piece that can showcase what we have learnt previously.

Preview Entry 9 - Norton's Art (Fine Chinese Ceramics, Painting, Works of Art) 7 July 2016


Chinese porcelain bowl, famille rose glazed, marked

Lot 8M
6 Characters (清乾隆年製) base mark
Estimated: $100 - $200

Motifs

For this piece, apart from the shape, we must be aware for the motifs on this piece.  As we can see here, we can find the butterfly (蝶), which has the meaning of longevity, double happiness (雙囍), and floral design that resemble peony (牡丹), which has the meaning of wealth.  For double happiness and butterfly, these motifs are well used in late Qing pieces especially during Tongzhi reign (同治 1856-1875).
Palace Museum, China
Now we explain why it is problematic

Motifs again
As we mentioned before, double happiness and butterfly motifs are common used in Tongzhi reign, to be honest here I haven't seen a Qianlong piece with this motifs combination (I seen butterfly motifs on Qianlong fabric though).  Actually it is very weird to see Tongzhi motifs (1856-1875) on a Qianlong piece (1711-1799).  I know time travel is possible but I don't think it is possible 200 years ago.

Another thing is the poor drawing of motifs, for the butterfly I think it is quite nice, similar to the pieces from Tongzhi reign.  But for the double happiness and Peony, they look questionable, I guess they spent all the budget on the butterfly.  The double happiness are separated, the peony is too simple.  I cannot find a Qianlong piece with Peony motifs yet, but as you can see here, you can see the really big difference.
Palace Museum, Taiwan
Weird mark
For the base mark, It was inscribed as “大清乾隆年製”.  Actually, it is okay to me if it is a piece from Tongzhi or Daoguang reign, since the mark is usually not very good in a famille rose piece, the production quality is dropping due to budget limitation.  The size for the mark is okay to me, not over sized or under sized.  Just one thing look weird to me, which is the "大", the head for the 大 is missing, I don't know if it is poorly photographed or what.


Shape
Actually I was going to skip this part since it is just too easy to spot the problem, the bowl is warped due to bad firing.  And the most important part is, it is not even a bowl, it looks like a satellite dish to me. seriously?

Conclusion
I think it worth the price if it is sold in $20, good for holding your key chain or coins, but I highly doubt that it is an authentic Qianlong piece.

So this is the preview after the long long vacation, I received lots of PMs from facebook, the pms and likes are meant a lot to me so I really thanks for the supports from you guys!




Share this

0 Comment to "Qianlong porcelain bowl from Norton's Art"

張貼留言